Born 1 November 1967.
- 1995: MA in theology, University of Copenhagen.
- 2000: PhD in Church History, University of Aarhus.
- 1997/8: Visiting fellow, Clare Hall College, University of Cambridge.
- 2001-2002: post-doc. grant from the Danish Research Council of the Humanities (SHF).
- 2003-2009: Research fellow at Centre for the Study of the Cultural Heritage of Medieval Rituals.
- Since 2009: Professor of Church History, University of Copenhagen
- Since 2013: PI on the interdisciplinary research project Solitudes: Withdrawal and Engagement in the long Seventeenth Century, funded by the European Research Council, www.teol.ku.dk\solitudes
- Since 2003: member of the editorial board of the journal Transfiguration.
- Since 2005: member of the editorial board of the book series ‘Ritus et Artes: Traditions and Transformations’, Brepols Publishers
- 2007-2009: General Secretary of CARMEN (Co-operative for the Advancement of Research through a Medieval European Network)
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Parables: Bernard of Clairvaux’s Mapping of Spiritual Topography (Leiden: Brill, 2007), xiv + 344 pages
- The Cambridge Companion to The Cistercian Order (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012), 336 pages
- with David Cowling, Commonplace Culture in Western Europe in the Early Modern Period: I Reformation, Counter Reformation and Revolt (Leuven: Peeters, 2011), 278 pages
- with Stephanie Glaser: Negotiating Heritage: Memories of the Middle Ages (Turnhout: Brepols, 2008), 408 pages*
- with Eyolf Østrem, Nils Holger Petersen and Jens Fleischer: Genre and Ritual: The Cultural Heritage of Medieval Rituals (København: Museum Tusculanums Forlag, 2005), Transfiguration: Nordic Journal of Christianity and the Arts 2003/1-2, 336 pages
- With Nils Holger Petersen, Jeremy Llewellyn and Eyolf Østrem: The Appearances of Medieval Rituals: The Play of Construction and Modification (Turnhout: Brepols, 2004), 219 pages
- “Trembling in Time: Silence and meaning between Barthes, Chateaubriand and Rancé”, in Religion and Pastness, ed. B. Hellemans, W. Otten and M.B. Pranger (New York: Fordham University Press, 2013), pp. 100-120
- with Emilia Jamroziak, “Introduction: Withdrawal and Engagement”, in The Cambridge Companion to the Cistercian Order (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012), ed. MBB, pp. 1-22
- “Je ne comprends point cette sorte de mortification: Seventeenth-century fascination with the Trappists” Transfiguration 2010/2011 (Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum, 2011), pp. 125-60
- “The cardinal directions”, The Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception (Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2012), pp. 125-6
- “Un autre Saint Bernard: Representing Bernard of Clairvaux in the age of Louis XIV”, in Resonances, ed. N.H. Petersen, E. Østrem and A. Bücker (Turnhout: Brepols, 2011), pp. 173-98
- “Commonplaces in Cendrillon and Peu d’Ane: Between Academic Dispute, Folklore Magic, and Moral Instruction”, in Commonplace Culture in Western Europe in the Early Modern Period I, ed. D. Cowling and M.B. Bruun (Leuven: Peeters, 2011), pp. 229-49
- “Bernard of Clairvaux and the landscape of salvation”, in Brill Companion to Bernard of Clairvaux, ed. B.P. McGuire (Leiden: Brill, 2011), pp. 249-78
- “Wandering eyes, muttering and frowning”, in Monastic Oral Communication, ed. S. Vanderputten (Turnhout: Brepols, 2011), pp. 337-63
- “Mabillon’s Middle Ages”, in Early Modern Medievalism, ed. Alicia Montoya et al. (Leiden: Brill, 2010), pp. 429-42
- “Monks in space: A medieval ritual and its setting”, in Religion, Ritual, Theatre, ed. K. Vedel, B. Holm, and B.F. Nielsen (Frankfurt a.M.: Peter Lang Verlag, 2009), pp. 47-61
- “Mapping the Monastery: Hélinand of Froidmont’s second sermon for Palm Sunday” in Prédication et liturgie, eds. Nicole Bériou and Franco Morenzoni (Turnhout: Brepols, 2008), p. 183–99
- “Manual labour as praxis pietatis: Sketch of a motif in the 17th cent. Cistercian reform at La Trappe” in Praxis Pietatis: The Instruments of Devotion, eds. Henning Laugerud and Laura Skinnebach (Århus: Aarhus Universitetsforlag, 2007), p. 61-71
- With Nils Holger Petersen, Jeremy Llewellyn and Eyolf Østrem: “Introduction” in The Appearances of Medieval Rituals: The Play of Construction and Modification, eds. NHP, MBB, JL and EØ (Turnhout: Brepols, 2004), p. 1-12
- “Procession and Contemplation in Bernard of Clairvaux’s first sermon for Palm Sunday” in The Appearances of Medieval Rituals: The Play of Construction and Modification, eds. NHP, MBB, JL and EØ (Turnhout: Brepols, 2004), p. 67-82